Camping at Kintra Farm
Kintra camping is very much a natural camping ground: you can camp in the dunes, right next to the beach.
The campsite is located among the grassy dunes, on a Site of Special Scientific Interest for Chough and Arctic Tern. It covers a large area and rarely feels crowded. Light up a fire on the beach, wrap up warm, pour a little dram, and watch the waves.
Our facilities are simple: hot and cold water, toilets, showers, washing-up facilities, access to laundry facilities, and an honesty reading library, but it’s the site itself that draws people again and again, not our mod-cons.
On arrival, please register, read our guidelines and, if possible, make payment before going to the camping area. Our registration is manned 10.00am-12.00pm and 4.00pm-6.00pm daily. Outwith these times, please self-register, read our guidelines and see us at the next manned registration time to make payment.
Key Camping Information:
- We are open from May to September
- We do not have electric hook-ups
- We are 4 miles west of Port Ellen, not on any bus-route
- We do not take bookings, being a working hill farm, we normally have plenty of space
- We provide flush toilets and showers for resident campers only
- We are unable to accept disposal of chemical effluent at Kintra
- Dogs must be kept under strict control
Our water supply is from two sources which are privately supplied and maintained. 1) from borehole, treated and tested. 2) from reservoir, untreated. Our water source is very much finite, so please use it carefully.
If you are camping at Kintra Farm, you are welcome to bring your dogs, but for the safety of livestock, especially sheep, and in the interest of other campers, please ensure you keep your dogs under strict control. Cows with young calves and bulls can be aggressive and for your own safety, as well as that of your dogs, there are certain areas in which dogs are not allowed. Also, due to the rocky nature of our moorland coast, and the danger of sheep rushing over rocks, there are specific areas of the moorland hill to which dogs are not allowed to go at any time.
Prices charged do depend on the size of your tent/motorhome/awning, but these examples will give you an idea of our charges.
- Adult: £4 per night, Child (5-14): £2 per night, Child under 5 years: free.
- + 1-person tent: £6 per night, 2-person tent £8 per night
- + Family Tent: From £ 9-£14 per night. Motorhome: from £8 – £14 per night.
- + Awning extension: From £2. (size dependent)